10 SIMPLE STEPS TO A WORRY FREE HOME  

1. Basic Inside Tips   

Fire

Make sure your home has at least two unobstructed exits in case of fire or other catastrophe.  Know two ways out of every room and practice exit drills with your family. Install smoke detectors on every level of your home.

Emergency Numbers

home emergency 911 

Keep emergency numbers near the phone, and teach your kids about 911.

Electrical

Avoid the use of extension cords or multi-plug outlets when possible; protect outlets from curious hands by using approved covers. Use GFCI plugs to protect your family in the event of power leaks and surges.

Chemicals

Keep all harmful chemicals out of reach of children and out of pets' nose range.

2. Basic Outside Tips 
 

Chemicals

Relocate pesticides, weed killers, garden fungicides and other chemicals to a safe place.

Pool

Consider installing a chain link fence to keep toddlers from accidentally wandering in.  Keep all lifesaving equipment close at hand, and keep all electrical devices away from the water

3. Basic Fire Tips 

Fire Extinguishers

Having the proper extinguisher is essential to fighting home fires.  For home fires only flammable liquid  extinguishers are acceptable.  Combustible extinguishers can make chemical fires worse.

Smoke Detectors

The National Fire Protection Association estimates that more than 10,000 lives were saved in 1997 by smoke detectors.  Look for one that fits you particular needs, such as extra loud.  Some detectors have better warranties and are more reputable than others; all of them are reasonably affordable.

4.  Gases 

Butane

Containers of butane and all aerosol cans should be stored in a cool place.

Natural Gas

Use with care due to its extremely flammable nature.  If you should suspect a leak, contact the gas company, propane supplier, or fire department immediately.

Carbon Monoxide

A lethal odorless gas that can be released through furnaces, gas water heaters, and chimneys.  Because it's so hard to detect, you should install an approved detector.

Radon

Another odorless, tasteless gas that is produced by decaying uranium.  It can be found in the basements of many older homes and in newer homes that have cracks or gaps in the foundation.  If you're concerned about the presence of radon in your home, visit your local hardware store and purchase an activated charcoal canister to perform a simple test.

5. Lead 

Many homes have walls that have been coated with lead based paint.  Homeowners often take sandpaper to these surfaces, leaving lead dust or paint chips that can be extremely harmful if inhaled or ingested.  Purchase a home lead test at your local hardware store and consult a home paint specialist if you have further questions.

6. Garages 

Gasoline

Use as a motor fuel only.  Store it only in containers designed and approved for gasoline.

Tools

home tools 

Keep all blades and tools out of the reach of tiny hands and in secure storage containers.  Don't hang heavy or sharp tools from nails.

Car

Don't leave the keys in your vehicle, even in a secured garage.

7. Basements 

Flammables

Keep all flammable liquids in tightly closed original containers or in approved and labeled safety containers.

Chemicals

Store what you can outside the home, in the garage or shed

Exits

Make sure all stairways, windows, doors, and other basement exits are easily accessible.

8. Kitchens 

Smoke Detector

Make sure that a smoke detector is installed IN your kitchen, not just in an adjacent room.

Chemicals

Store all cleaners, polishes, and combustible liquids out of harm's reach and in secure, clearly marked containers.

Medicines

Keep all medicines at adult eye level or higher.  Check for child proof caps.

9. Bathrooms 

Cleaners

Remember that most disinfectants are extremely caustic and can cause severe chemical burns. Try to store them a a non accessible location.

 Bathtub

Home bathtub 

Install anti scald shower heads to prevent the danger of hot water burns.

10. Bedrooms 

Aerosol

Hair spray and similar products are highly flammable and should never be used near a heat source.

Nail Polish

Nail polish and similar fluids ae flammable and can give off vapors that can be harmful if a person is exposed to them for an extended period of time.  Pay special attention to cotton balls or tissues that have been soaked in these fluids.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you.  If you have questions about anything at all, don't hesitate to contact me, I'd love to help. 

Angela Burdick CRS, GRI, ABR

Call Me: 
Office: (303) 738-1380
Direct: (303) 886-1900
Email: angela@DenverRealEstateNow.com
Angela Burdick
Realty Innovations
5753 S. Prince St. Unit 753
Littleton, CO 80160

HOME | LINKS | BUY A HOME| SELL A HOME | REFERENCE